Firstly, what is BulletProof Coffee?
BulletProof coffee, also commonly referred to as butter coffee, is the invention of Bulletproof Coffee in the USA. It is a high-fat, keto-friendly coffee, which drinkers claim enhances cognitive function and provides lasting energy.
The original recipe contains:
- A cup of freshly brewed coffee.
- 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of MCT Oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter or ghee
Just put it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds and the result is a frothy, creamy latte.
Why drink BulletProof coffee?
Proponents of butter coffee typically have it at breakfast time instead of a meal. This means it works well with high-fat, ketogenic diets. The benefits, according to Bulletproof Coffee themselves, include:
- Suppressed hunger. Brain Octane Oil balances ghrelin and CCK, your hunger hormones, keeping you full until lunch. You can read more about the science behind BP Coffee and hunger suppression here.
- Steady lasting energy. The saturated fat in grass-fed butter slows the absorption of caffeine, which gives you even energy for several hours instead of a caffeine spike and crash. No jitters, either.
- Mental clarity. Brain Octane rapidly converts to ketones, a type of molecule that your brain uses more efficiently than carbs or sugar. Pair ketones with the slowly releasing caffeine and you can literally feel your brain turning on.
How to add CBD to BulletProof Coffee
- Use CBD infused coffee beans instead of regular coffee beans
- Replace the MCT oil, or butter / ghee with CBD infused alternatives
- Add CBD honey. This would however add sugar, and therefore carbohydrates to the coffee, removing its ketogenic friendly attributes.
For more information on adding CBD to coffee more generally, please check our blog, ‘How to make CBD coffee’.